Chinese meatballs casserole dish served with rice and green vegetables.
Original recipe by, Connie Clarkson.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 egg white
- 4 spring onions – chopped
- 1 tbl Shaoxing rice wine (dry sherry can be used in its place)
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 3 tbl soy sauce (not dark)
- 3 tbl oyster sauce
- 2 tbl fine chilli sauce (or according to taste)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 300g cabbage
- ¼ cup corn flour
- Oil for frying
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 4 tbl hoi sin sauce
- Preheat your oven to 180 degreesC. Place ginger, egg white, spring onions, soy sauce, mince, rice wine, oyster sauce, fine chili sauce, sugar and sesame oil into a food processor and process untill just combined.
- Wet your hands and form the meat mixture into bite size balls (about 20 meatballs) then set aside till needed. Separate cabbage into individual leaves and tear off pieces about the size of the palm of your hand.
- Line a casserole dish (or any heavy bottom saucepan with lid) big enough to hold all the meatballs in a single layer with the torn cabbage. Heat the oil in a pan.
- While the oil is heating up, lightly dust meatballs in corn flour then use pan to brown in batches.
- Now drain and put into the casserole dish on top of the cabbage in a single layer.
- Bring stock and hoi sin sauce to the boil in a pot and add carefully to the casserole. Cover with a lid and bake at 180 degreesC for up to 1 hour or untill meat balls are cooked.
- Serve immediately in the casserole (or other dish) accompanied by rice and tossed greens.